Interest in collagen supplements has skyrocketed in recent years, with several plant-based options grabbing a piece of the market share from the initial animal-based ones. As consumers have become more aware of the power of plants to help build collagen, these products have risen to the occasion – often including gold-standard ingredients to deliver optimal benefits.
One of these ingredients is called Dermaval™, and this post will take a deep dive into what it is, how it works, and why you want it!
BEAUTY FROM WITHIN
"Beauty comes from within." It is a phrase pretty much everyone has heard at one time or another, either from a parent or maybe a Disney movie. In recent years, consumers across the globe have come to really embrace this philosophy, and many beauty brands have stepped slightly outside of their typical product offerings to answer the call. Brands that were previously known for their cosmetics began offering beauty beverages. Skincare products started using words like "nourish" and "food" on their labels. (Many of them even started including foods IN their formulations – like, putting food right on your face!) These products have steadily gained a share of the market, which continues to grow, as does the large number of supplement products that are targeting beauty benefits.
Collagen products are thought to have been the driving force behind the growth in beauty-from-within supplements.
To be sure, collagen is having a moment right now. There are lots of collagen supplements to be found on the market, both plant-based and animal-based, and the advantages of plant-based collagen supplements are well-documented. And as the collagen category has expanded, it has also become more sophisticated. The consumer now has several plant-based collagen building products to choose from, and the formulations go well beyond the original ones that only provided animal collagen.
WHAT IS DERMAVAL™?
Dermaval™ is a breakthrough innovation in beauty-from-within supplementation. It is an all-natural blend of 9 vegan-friendly, phytonutrient-rich fruit and vegetable concentrates, shown to increase and help retain healthy levels of elastin in the body.
This clinically researched ingredient protects and supports collagen from within, featuring a broad spectrum of plant-based superfoods:
- Pomegranate Extract:Contains punicalagins, which are known to prevent collagen breakdown. Punicalagins are extremely potent antioxidants found in the juice and peels of pomegranates. Pomegranate juice has been found to have three times the antioxidant activity of red wine and green tea, which is attributed to its punicalagin content.
- Acerola, Mangosteen, Camu Camu:These all contain very high levels of vitamin C, which is known to stimulate collagen production. If you've ever heard of scurvy, like pirates used to get when out at sea without fresh fruits or vegetables, you will know that it is due to a lack of vitamin C in the diet. Common symptoms of scurvy are skin fragility and impaired wound healing!
- Coffee Bean, Cherry, Asparagus, Açaí, Sophora Japonica Flower, Okra: These superfoods provide a broad spectrum of phytonutrients, including quercetin, anthocyanins, and chlorogenic acid. Phytonutrients have demonstrated a multitude of benefits to the skin, such as helping to repair cell membranes, inhibiting melanomas, and protecting against UV radiation.
HOW DOES DERMAVAL™ WORK?
Skin is the largest organ of our body, made up of several different parts, including water, protein, lipids (fats), and different minerals and chemicals. Most people know that our skin has several layers – even if they don't remember what they are called!
We have the basic layers of epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis. Within the thickest layer, the dermis, is where the very important proteins collagen and elastin are primarily found.
- Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bones, skin, muscles, and tendons. It makes up about one-third of all protein in the human body. In the skin, it behaves like the 'glue', cementing everything together by connecting tissue and providing strength and support to the layers.
- Elastin is found with collagen in the dermis. Whereas the collagen helps to connect the tissues and give them strength, elastin is what allows those connective tissues to be able to stretch, contract, and resume their shape. (The reason why nobody's face would ever "freeze like that," as moms back in the day liked to threaten their children!)
Both of these proteins are plentiful in young skin but will start to break down due to stress, environmental exposure, poor diet, and the natural aging process.
The anti-inflammatory properties within Dermaval's™ proprietary superfood blend have been scientifically shown to preserve current collagen levels and to provide pro-collagen nutrients that contribute to healthy collagen production. In addition, Dermaval™ has been shown to inhibit elastase activity - elastase activity means the breaking down of elastin.
FUN FACTS ABOUT DERMAVAL™!
- Dermaval™ has earned some impressive recognition in the industry:
- Dermaval™, Finalist at FI Innovation Awards 2019: Plant-Based
- Dermaval™, Finalist at NutraIngredients Awards 2021: Beauty-from-within
- Clinically researched for internal skin support.
- All-natural and Non-GMO.
- The ability to inhibit elastase activity was demonstrated within only two hours of taking the supplement!
- Clinically researched at a low 50mg dose – compared with a recommended range of 2,500mg (2.5g) to 20,000mg (20g) of collagen peptides!
- The benefits of Dermaval™ have NOT been observed with animal-based collagen
Dermaval™ is a new plant-based innovation, protecting our body from collagen breakdown and providing the necessary co-nutrients needed to stimulate collagen production from within. It can be found in some of the newer, high-quality beauty supplements as part of a capsule or plant-based powder formula.